TitleEstates Department
Date1946-1983
DescriptionPapers relating to pillars of support, sporting rights and the registration of colliery assets under the Coal Industry Nationalisation Act, 1946.
Extent24 files
LevelSection
Administrative HistoryFollowing the nationalisation of the coal industry in 1947, the National Coal Board became one of the largest owners of real estate in the country. Its holdings at this time included extensive areas of farmland and over 140,000 houses as well as operational land and buildings. The role of the Estates Branch was to manage the surface estates and housing, acquire land for various purposes and dispose of land and property no longer required. [Information taken from The National Archive Catalogue, COAL 45, accessed 24 Feb 2021.]
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021