TitleHigham Grange Rehabilitation Centre
Date1924-1989
DescriptionHigham Grange Management Committee minutes, papers of the Working Party, general correspondence, account books, trust deed and management regulations, admission and discharge papers.
Extent1 volume, 8 files, 4 bundles, 8 papers
LevelSection
Administrative HistoryThe Miners' Welfare Fund was introduced under the provisions of the Mining Industry Act 1920. The fund was raised from a levy of 1d per ton of coal produced, increasing to five percent of coal royalties. The money was used for purposes approved by the Board of Trade and administered by a Miners' Welfare Committee for the purposes of 'the social well-being, recreation and conditions pf living workers in or about coal mines.'

Money from the fund was used to build Pithead Baths and start similar schemes for the use and benefit of the mining community. Higham Grange near Nuneaton was purchased and equipped as a Convalescent Home using money from the Miners' Welfare Fund. The original Trust Deed was signed on 8 February 1924, and stated that: 'The Primary Object of the Warwickshire Miners' Convalescent Home is to provide comfortable quarters to complete the cure of colliery workers in or about coal mines of the Warwickshire coalfield who have suffered from illness or accident and so restore them to the full duties of life.'

Higham Grange was the first Warwickshire Miners' Convalescent Home, and the fourth Miners' Convalescent Home in Great Britain. It was formally opened by the Duke of York on 24 May 1924. Warwickshire Miners continued to receive treatment at Higham Grange until 1943.
On 28 August 1943, Higham Grange was sold to the Miners' Welfare Commission for use as a Rehabilitation Centre for miners from Cannock Chase, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Shropshire, South Staffordshire and Warwickshire. The General Management Committee arranged for Warwickshire Miners to obtain convalescent treatment at various Convalescent Homes throughout the country until Durlston Court in Swanage was purchased in 1947.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022